Skin tag on nipple are skin outgrowths and could be found anywhere in the body. However, the nipples are the most sensitive part of the human breast. Therefore, this could be alarming to most people.
However, this should not be a cause of worry as a skin tag on the nipple or areola is not a medical threat in itself. Regardless, this does not mean that they should not be removed. They could be removed, especially when they do not look aesthetically pleasing.
Read on to discover easy, and effective methods of removing skin tags from your nipple without damaging an underlying structure.
Is It Normal To Have Skin Tags On My Nipple And Areola?
Skin tags form on the nipples when the nipple wrinkles rub against themselves. These fleshy growths are noncancerous, and neither do they indicate other health threats. That being said, having a skin tag on your nipple is normal, especially for breastfeeding mothers.
The skin tags are small in diameter ranging from several millimeters to 1 centimeter. They are attached to the nipple by a thin stalk or peduncle.
The skin tags might be just one or many. However many there are, there could all be easily removed at the same time. They could also cause discomfort and few disadvantages.
- Thermage Skin Tightening: Meaning, and Benefits in 2022
- Deep Chemical Peel skin For Black Skin, Types And Precautions
- Pycnogenol For Skin: How To Use, Benefits, Side Effects.
- 4 Tips On How To Remove Nail Glue From Skin
- 10 Tips On How To Remove Bandage Adhesive From Skin
Causes Of Skin Tag On The Nipples
Generally, skin tags are caused by friction. Nevertheless, several factors contribute to increased friction between the nipple skin. Some of these factors include;
Women with larger body mass have more chances of developing skin tags on the nipples. This is because the increased amount of fat encourages skin folding.
As such it improves the chances of friction between the finds on the nipples. Thereby causing skin tags.
Due to the raised stomach during pregnancy, there are chances of the breast and the stomach rubbing against each other. In this case, the skin tags are seen under the nipples instead of directly in the nipples when caused by other factors.
Breastfeeding is done by the child bucking the mother’s nipples. This involves friction and might cause skin tags.
If the skin tags are being sucked along the other parts of the nipple, this could lead to bigger problems that contribute to making the nipples unhealthy for breastfeeding.
● Ill-fitting clothing
Wearing tight clothes or bras could cause increased friction between your skin and the garment. This would contribute to causing skin tags on the nipple.
● Nipple piercing
Getting a nipple piercing might not be a bad idea. What would be a bad idea would be wearing bras with piercing, especially tight bras and clothing.
This would increase friction between the nipple and the garment surface, causing painful skin tags. Skin tags caused by nipple piercing could lead to several complications.
Disadvantages Of Having Skin Tag On The Nipples
Although skin tags on the areola or nipples might be harmless, they are accompanied by unpleasant disadvantages. These include;
- Pain is when an undergarment or a cloth rubs on it.
- Emotional distress and embarrassment as the display are unpleasant especially if the lady sexually active.
- Discomfort while sleeping
- Inability to breastfeed until the skin tag is removed
How To Remove Skin Tags On Nipples And Areola Easily
Skin tags on the nipples are harmless, but if desire to be removed, they can be removed personally or medically.
Removing a skin tag on your nipple is very risky. There might be mistakes that could lead to bleeding and infections. If you use the wrong products your nipples might react leading to a series of unpleasant conditions, including breast cancer.
However, if you intend to remove these skin outgrowths at home, do not try to cut them. Use a simple product that would shrink and dry them till they fall off.
Some home remedies include;
● Banana Peels
Banana peels are an excellent way of removing skin tags from your nipples naturally. This method simply dries out the skin while improving your complexion.
How to use
- Get a fresh peel of a banana. Cover the skin tag with one of the pieces of the peel.
- You could use a bandage to bind the skin tag to the peel.
- Do this every night until the skin tag dries and falls off completely.
● Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial and antimicrobial activities with a drying effect. As such it can be used to dry out skin tags on the nipples effortlessly.
Using tea tree oil to treat skin tags in the nipples would take 21 to 42 days. However, the results would be astonishing.
How to use
- Clean the area of the nipple that has a skin tag with some soap and water and rinse.
- Take a small amount of tea tree oil on your finger and rub it on the skin tag in a circular manner.
- Do this at night, and apply a bandage on the area to prevent infections.
- Wash off in the morning and repeat the procedure at night till the I’m in tag falls off.
Sometimes, aging could cause skin tags on the nipple. This is because as we age, we tend to form more wrinkles.
By applying vital E on the skin tag and massaging it for some minutes, you could easily remove a skin tag in your nipples in a few days.
In addition, Vitamin E would help prevent wrinkles on your nipples, thereby reducing future chances of developing skin tags.
When To See A Doctor
Skin tags on the nipples are not cancerous. However, if they become infected or undergo some chemical changes, they might indicate something serious. Here are some signs that the skin that might not just be a skin tag;
- Color changes: Skin tags are normally flesh-colored, I.e the same color as your skin. Sometimes, the tip might be more darkened than the other parts, this is normal.
However, if you notice a color change to total black, red, purple, or any color, please visit your doctor urgently.
- Bleeding: Skin tags do not bleed. If the skin tags on your nipple or areola start bleeding, it is an emergency. Visit your Doctor as soon as you can.
- Ulcers: If the skin starts forming ulcers or sores on your nipples, this indicates a medical issue. Please visit your doctor quickly.
- Size or texture changes: If you notice any change in the size of the skin tag on your nipple or areola, visit a doctor. Also, if the skin tags feel different from the texture of your surrounding skin, visit a doctor.
Skin tags on the nipple are harmless, but annoying and discomforting. They can be removed surgically in a clinic, by a doctor. They can also be removed by home remedies which should be done with extreme caution.