How common is dry skin penis? You might feel the skin of your penis being tight and dry sometimes, This is not a serious medical condition and does not indicate any sexually transmitted disease (STD).
Rather, dry skin on the penis might be caused by physical activities like dry and prolonged sex, the use of harsh soaps, etc. It might also come with some of these symptoms;
- Peeling skin that might be accompanied by itching
- Tight skin after staying in water for a long time, like swimming or bathing.
- Cracks on the skin
- Skin redness
- Skin tears that are accompanied by bleeding
This article explains the possible causes of dry skin on the penis. It also suggests effective treatment methods for each cause and general home remedies for treating this condition.
- Freckles On Dark Skin: Everything You Need To Know
- How Does Humidity Affect Your Skin A-Z
- What Are Hymenal Skin Tags? Can They Be Removed?
- What is Clammy Skin? Causes, and Treatment Methods In 2022
- CARP Skin Condition All you need to know
- Tattoo on Old Saggy Skin: 15 Factors To Consider
- 10 Best Benefits and Side effects of using sugar on your skin
What Can Cause Dry Skin Penis
Here are some possible reasons for dry penis skin;
●Dry and prolonged sex or masturbation
During sexual activities, the penis skin produces natural lubricants to prevent friction. This does not last for long as the amount of natural lubricant reduces with time.
If there is no aided form of lubrication, there would be much friction during sexual activities which could cause dry penis skin.
If this is the case, you should consider using artificial lubricants for sexual activities, especially when you are not wearing a condom. Water-based lubricants might prevent friction and chafing.
Also, do not use lubricants that contain glycerin or parabens as they might irritate.
The skin of the penis is very sensitive. It is more sensitive than the skin over other parts of your body. This is why the penis skin might be irritated by the same soap you use for your body.
Signs of irritation of the penis skin include dryness along the shaft and foreskin, redness, etc.
That being said, it is best to wash your penis skin with only warm water. If there is a need for soap, use a mild soap that was specifically made for sensitive skin.
●Reaction To Latex Condoms
Latex is a substance obtained from the sap of rubber trees. It is used in making most condoms. Some people are allergic to latex, so when their skin makes contact with these condoms, it might dry out as a reaction. Other possible reactions include:
- Difficult breathing
- Runny nose
- Chest tightness
- Anaphylactic shock; is an allergic reaction that should be treated as an emergency. If the person has an epinephrine (adrenaline) injection around him, inject this as quickly as you can.
If the reason for the dry skin penis is a latex allergy, you could resolve to use non-latex condoms. These condoms are made of polyurethane or the intestines of a lamb.
This infection is caused by an overgrowth of fungi on your penile skin due to poor hygiene. Dry skin is one of the symptoms of yeast infection on the penis. Others might include; redness, itching, discharge, swelling, and painful urination.
If you notice some of the symptoms stated above, please visit a doctor for proper assessment and treatment. Also, improve your hygiene to prevent further complications.
Furthermore, inform your sexual partner(s) of the situation as this infection can be spread by contact. It is not a deadly STI, but it might cause complications if left untreated.
●Skin Irritation From Clothes
When you put on tight clothes and undergarments, it increases moisture in the genital area. The same is for synthetic fabrics and underwear.
This extra moisture encourages the growth of bacteria and fungi to cause infections like yeast infection, which can cause dry skin on the penis.
You should put on cotton fabrics and undergarments that would not create moisture. Also, put on loose clothing that would not cause discomfort or skin irritation.
Sometimes, dry skin on the penis might be an early symptom of penile cancer. Most times, it is associated with pain and other symptoms like;
- An abnormal change in the color and thickness of the penis skin.
- Bumps on the penis shaft that might feel crusty.
- Cuts and bleeding ulcers on the penis
- Discharge or bleeding from under the foreskin of the penis
- Swollen glans of the penis
- Rashes on the skin of the penis
- Lumps in the groin area can be felt underneath the skin.
There are several clinical treatment methods for penile cancer which include;
- Radiation therapy.
- Pycnogenol For Skin: How To Use, Benefits, Side Effects.
- What Causes Tiger Stripes On Skin And How To Remove Them
Home Remedies For Dry Skin Penis
You could use the following tips to treat dry penis skin at home;
- The bathing products you use on your genital area should be products that are strictly designed for sensitive skin best you only use warm water and a soft towel to clean the area in the meantime.
- If you are treating your penis skin with a moisturizer like coconut oil, abstain from sexual activities for 2-3 days. This would help the penis skin to heal properly.
- Take enough water to hydrate your body. This would help relieve the dryness on the shaft and foreskin.
- Use a penis skin moisturizing cream after having a shower. This would help to lock in moisture and prevent dryness in the genital area if they contain shea butter and Vitamin E. Do not use hand or body lotions as they might contain ingredients that would irritate your penis skin.
When To See A Doctor
If the condition is not relieved after taking the home treatment discussed above, please see a doctor. Your doctor would examine your genital area to determine if you are to be treated for yeast infection.
If the examination does not show results of an infection, instead of a dermatological situation like eczema or psoriasis, you would be referred to a dermatologist.
How To Prevent Dry Skin Penis
You could protect your penis skin from dryness by following these tips;
- Use only warm water to wash your penis. If need be, you could also use mild soap.
- Ensure to dry your skin properly after urinating, bathing, or swimming.
- Only use products that are designed for sensitive skin on your genital area.
- Use mind laundry products on your clothes to prevent skin irritation.
- Wear loose-fitting fabric and undergarments that are made of cotton.
- Take a lot of water to keep your body hydrated and prevent dry skin.
- After a bath, shower, or swimming session, apply a penis-specific moisturizer to lock moisture in the skin of your penis
- 10 Tips On How To Remove Bandage Adhesive From Skin
- 4 Tips On How To Remove Nail Glue From Skin
- 15 Best Treatment Methods For Penis Peeling and Its Causes
The dry skin of the Penis can be caused by many factors. However, it can also be treated and prevented with some of the measures mentioned above.